Thursday, July 26, 2012

File for laser cutting girih tiles



The laser cutter reads vector graphics; a red line means 'cut' and a black surface means 'engrave'. I made an svg file with the girih tiles placed side by side. You can download the file, visit your local Fab Lab, and make your own girih tiles! There is some room for improvement in the file - each side is cut twice, which is a waste of time and possibly burns the acrylic more than necessary. This file works fine, but it would be even better if one would remove those double lines.


View Fab Labs on Earth in a larger map

Contents of the file:



At the sides of each piece, there is a 'teeth' pattern, which I put there to make the pieces align better. Another 'innovation' is the double black line that forms the outline of a rope tied in an infinite knot, with a crossing at the sides of each girih piece. It turned out that it is possible to design the tiles so that the rope regularly passes above, then below, then above... for any pattern that one builds with them.

More pictures of the tiles and of the laser cutting process.

2 comments:

  1. I have not tried cutting things like this. There were times when I attempted to but because I so much lack materials, I would stop then from my ambitious attempt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really not something I would be able to do without a computer-controlled laser cutter! Depending on where in the world you live though, there might be a FabLab or something similar near you?

      Delete

Newer Older Home
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...